Friday, June 27, 2008

Pacelines are the new Carpools

Imagine how great it would be if this was the scene on the freeway commute to work. Bike commuting sure would be a lot faster if there was always a good wheel to follow! I came across an interesting article from velonews.com. It discusses the interplay between cycling for purely utilitarian purposes and for training purposes. As a racer and commuter this is an important topic for me. I keep track of my training by time and heart rate, and have consistently found that a significant portion of my training time (sometimes as much as 25%) comes from commuthing to work, going to grocery store, or just meeting friends for dinner and drinks by bike. These aren't "throw away" miles. Every little bit counts, so let your time on the bike do double duty.

No comments: